11/13/05

The Three Modes Cont'd

Now I would call [1] discovery. Many associate [1] with birth and childhood/youth because life then is full of [1]. Much of everything is new, you have no choice. [1] is your main part of life and you can't avoid it. ( that said I heard of three year old who if an old Sesame St is on, cries bereft of Elmo, that is truly a sad sad something)

[2] is repetition. It's rhythm, and it's addiction. I think everything in the realm of [2] has diminishing returns. I know addiction is a strong term for this, but it's [2] in it's most extreme (compulsory / obsessive) form. It's a natural mode of operation but it's distracting and gets out of control, mentally (OCD), physically (addiction), and spiritually (radical fundalmentalism).

[3] naturally is fear. Sometimes this is very mild and an activity that everyone engages in, simple avoidance. For example, potato salad tastes horrible to me. I don't know what it is, it's not texture, there a chemical or protein formed in the potato salad process that makes me wince. So I naturally avoid it. Wife is afraid of break-ins to our home, because her home was burgled 7 times as a child. I was viscously attacked by a dog as a child. He bit through my face I had stitches and drank /ate through a straw for weeks. And while I was afraid of a few loud barking snarling dogs... I had a dog and loved him, I'm not afraid of dogs at all. Strangely enough I don't really see the attack as traumatic. I don't remember any pain, I remember being in shock not really understanding what had happened.

Also I am very allergic to Poison Ivy/oak etc. (This will clarify the picture in the earlier post) And while I'm educated and avoid it, I sometimes wish my skin was so sensitive as then. When I have poison ivy the constant fluctuation between sensory overload, and itch and relief can be addictive. Also things like warm rushing water, does feel anything like it does normally. For Poison Ivy I normally engage in [3]. I've had some very curios [1]'s while inflicted with it so there's some [2] tangled up in with it as well. And this leads me to a curious point. Sometimes the very "Full" experiences of life involve all three modes. Love definite has all three mode in spades and so we say... "Better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all." All activities probably have some small bit of all three in them. It' s hard to say what life is from this side of the death divide. But it's a stream of 1,2,3's
1,2,,,1,2,,,1,2,3
1,2,1,2,,3,1,2,1,2,3
1,2,2,1,2,2,3,2,2,2,,,,,,,,,,1

There's a rhythm to it all

1 comment:

Tree of Knowledge said...

In your theory, does the element of time create [1]s of [2]s?

Technically, each day I'm a new person, different from who I was yesterday - new experiences and all changing me. For example, I have a masters degree. So graduate school is an experience I liked and want to repeat. I'm applying for a PhD program next year. Seems like that experience will be a [2] (provided I'm accepted). But I'm not the same person I was when I started grad school 4.5 years ago. I mean, I'm still Tree, but a different Tree, with more knowledge and memories. I'm sure I've forgotten things since then as well, so I've lost knowledge/memories too. Does that change in my knowledge base affect whether or not PhD grad school is a [2] or a [1]?

Realistically, I think not, which is where I think you were going with the rhythmic dance bit at the end of your post. Is that right? I'm just trying to wrap my brain around this.